Wednesday 23 May 2012

A Letter from A Mum to Her Children on Mother's Day





Dear Children,

Thank you for my gift.  I really love that you tried so hard to think of something I would like, and then asked Dad to think of something.

I think I know why it is difficult to buy me a gift.  I always say “I don’t want anything.”  When you are a child, it is hard to imagine not wanting a present.  But guess what?  When you grow up to have everything you’ve ever wanted, there is nothing more to want.  

You may not realise, but you give me presents every day:-

when you wake up in the morning and come looking for me,

when your hand reaches for mine as we walk into the school gates, and slips into  it  again at the end of the day, 

when you sketch a picture of your family and draw a heart between us,  

when you score a goal and your widest smile is reserved for me,

when your clothes are drying on the line, all the colours of the rainbow, fluttering like flags,

when you’re tired and you say, “I want to go home”,

when you wake from a feverish night, and your skin is cool,

when you practice your piano and I hear the music in you, 

when you read out loud and I see the future in you.

Next year, you don’t need to buy me anything; 

Like I said, I have everything.  

With all my love always,

Mummy xx

No comments:

Post a Comment